Cookbook CoverCook Books
The Idaho Genealogical Society has published a collection of recipes in a cookbook titled"150 Years of Idaho Cooking", in honor of the Idaho Territorial Sesquicentennial. The book includes a number of recipes from Idaho's historical past, including interesting notes and anecdotes about the recipe or its contributor. Visit the IGS Publications page to order, or Click Here!

Latest News

The 2017 Spring Quarterly newsletter is now available in digital format. To access it, and all other quarterly issues, go to:
2017 Spring Quarterly
A list of research helps for Idaho genealogy is found on the Idaho Links page. Here is a direct link to
Idaho Research
Another useful list of research helps is found on our blog Online Resources on IGS Blog.
Online Version of the Cumulative Index of Footprints
Index
Volunteer Opportunities
Members Only Access




Alturas County
Established: 1864
Abolished: 1895

Parent County: Original

Co. Seat: Cities
Rocky Bar, Hailey
See following county maps for placement. http://www.idahogenealogy.com/alturas/ http://genealogytrails.com/ida/alturas/ http://genealogytrails.com/ida/alturas/newsmisc.html https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Alturas_County,_Idaho http://www.idahogenealogy.com/alturas/hailey.htm
Alturas County was a county in Idaho Territory and later the state of Idaho from 1864 to 1895. It covered an area larger than the states of Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware combined. Most present-day southern Idaho counties were created at least in part from the original Alturas County area. The name Alturas comes from a Spanish word for "mountain summits" or "mountainous heights." Alturas County was created by the Idaho Territorial Legislature in February 1864. Later that year the mining camp of Rocky Bar was designated the county seat. The county seat was moved to Hailey in 1882. In 1889, the Idaho Territorial Legislature created Elmore County and Logan County from parts of Alturas County. On March 5, 1895, to circumvent a recent state Supreme Court decision striking down an earlier county reorganization, the Idaho Legislature combined Alturas and Logan Counties into a new county called Blaine. Two weeks later on March 18, the southern portion of the newly-created Blaine County was split off to form Lincoln County with its county seat at Shoshone. Hailey remained the county seat of what was now Blaine County and Alturas County disappeared from the Idaho map. On March 5, 1895, the county of Blaine was created. The first section of the act creating Blaine County reads as follows: "The counties of Alturas and Logan are hereby abolished and the county of Blaine is hereby created, embracing all of the territory heretofore included with in the boundary lines of said Alturas and Logan Counties." The county seat was located at Hailey. On March 18, 1895, the county of Lincoln was created out of the county of Blaine and the county seat located at Shoshone. The "act to abolish the counties of Alturas and Logan and to create and organize the county of Blaine," provided that "Sidney Kelley, Fred W. Gooding and Israel T. Osborn, shall be the county commissioners of said county, H. H. Clay, treasurer, J. J. McFadden, probate judge and ex-officio superintendent of public instruction, Andrew J. Dunn, coroner, and Frank C. Mandell, surveyor. Of the two persons elected in said Alturas and Logan Counties at the last election to each of the offices of sheriff, of assessor and ex-officio tax collector, and of clerk of the district court and ex-officio auditor and recorder, during the first year one shall be the officer and the other shall be his assistant or deputy, and during the second year they shall exchange positions, and the clerk of the district court and ex-officio auditor and recorder for the third and fourth years shall alternate as herein provided, and that unless they can agree among themselves upon the order in which they shall so occupy such office, the Board of County Commissioners of Blaine County shall determine the same." All the above named officers qualified. The following also qualified: Geo. W. Richards, clerk of district court and ex-officio auditor and recorder, Thomas Fenton, Sheriff, and James M. McPherson, assessor and tax collector. The creation of Lincoln County on March 18, 1895, legislated County Commissioner Fred W. Gooding out of office in Blaine County for the reason that he was no longer a resident of Blaine County. John E. Schad was appointed County Commissioner by the governor. He presented his commission and qualified. Logan County was a county in Idaho Territory and later the state of Idaho from 1889 to 1895. Logan County was created from parts of Alturas County by the Idaho Territorial Legislature in 1889 with Bellevue as its county seat. Six years later, the Idaho Legislature attempted to return Bellevue to Alturas County, but the plan was struck down by the state supreme court. In response on March 5, 1895, the Idaho Legislature combined Logan and Alturas Counties into a new county called Blaine. Two weeks later on March 18, the southern portion of the newly-created Blaine County was split off to form Lincoln County with its county seat at Shoshone and Logan County ceased to exist. Bellevue became part of Blaine County.

More information on Alturas County is available at the Idaho State Historical Society's Public Archives and Research Library. See Reference Series No. 112.